decorative curve
The HR manager is interviewing job applicants

How to apply for the Polk HealthCare Plan

Do you qualify?

The first step in applying for the Polk HealthCare Plan (PHP) is to determine if you qualify. There are a few things that will prevent you from being eligible. To be a plan member, you cannot have any other healthcare coverage and you must be a resident of Polk County, Florida. In some instances, if you are waiting to hear a decision from Medicaid or Medicare, the plan will cover you during the waiting period.

Here are a few ways to check to see if you qualify:

  • Review our Eligibility and Requirements page for income specifics.
  • Join us at one of our daily events and talk with a representative of PHP. Locations vary each day.
  • Call customer service at (863) 533-1111.
    • Get what you need over the phone.
    • Schedule an appointment to come into the office.

Gather the documentation needed to apply

If you believe you meet the requirements, the second step is to gather the information you will need to submit with your application.

You will need to provide one proof of income and two proofs of Polk County residency to qualify for membership.

Any (1) of the following documents will meet the requirement for proof of income:

  • Court-ordered child support or alimony payments
  • Expense records (bank/credit statement, profit and loss statement)
  • Pay stub(s) (one month of pay stubs)
  • PELL Grant award letter
  • Pension documents
  • Proof of rental income
  • Self-employment tax form
  • Social Security award letter
  • Tax return
  • Unemployment award letter
  • Verification of earnings form
  • Workers’ compensation

Any (2) of the following documents will meet the requirement for proof of residency:

  • Driver License / State Identification Card
  • Federal or State agency award letter / check
  • Lexis Nexis Report
  • Proof of employment, i.e., Pay stub with home address listed
  • Property tax statement
  • Proof of homestead ownership / purchase
  • Rental verification completed by landlord
  • Rent receipt / lease agreement
  • Shelter/residential facility letter
  • Utility bill (electric, water, gas bill)
  • Voter Registration Card

Our case management team may be able to assist you in determining how to find or access the required documentation. For assistance, call (863) 533-1111.

Make an appointment or fill out the application online

With your documentation you can:

  • Visit the Indigent Health Care administrative office located at 2135 Marshall Edwards Dr., Bartow 33830 (Walk-ins welcome)
  • Schedule an in-person appointment by calling (863) 533-1111
  • Apply online

Get your answer

Once all of your documents are signed and submitted, you will either be approved or denied. A case manager will contact you with an approval or denial. If approved, your coverage will begin on the 1st or 15th day of the month.